Monday, July 6, 2015

Feedback and Choice - Essential Elements of Learning


Last week I wrote about my ideas to create a culture of sharing within our district.  Several hundred readers visited and read the post.  Two of my fellow teachers took the time to respond to my post and great conversations ensued.

One teacher agreed with and supported many of the ideas, while the other one dissenting view.  The dissenting view, told me that they sent me an email with some thoughts about my post, but didn't want me to me angry with them.  The fact that they were worried I would take offense to their post, speaks volumes to our districts need to engage in a process of sharing and feedback far more often than we do.

Personally, for me what came out of this was an opportunity to model sharing and receiving feedback on a post that I had written from a center of passion.  Furthermore, it was a reminder that as we begin this process of sharing and peer review, we need to be mindful of our relative 'noob' status to this process.  Due to the fact many of us are still novice's in this process of giving and receiving feedback we must be mindful of the words we choose, but must speak with fidelity to what we mean.

As I was thinking about writing this blog, I was in the middle of completing a forum post for one of the two online graduate classes I am taking this summer.  These two classes have been devoid of any feedback on the assignments I have completed from the instructors.  Other students in the classes have commented on my forum posts, as I have theirs, but the instructors are conspicuously absent.  I only bring this fact up, because the assignments are similar to this: 1. Read chapter X, 2. Respond to forum prompt checking for superficial understanding, 3. Respond to two classmates posts.

While I would like to think that this is providing the best environment for learning, I can't help but want some feedback from the instructor or if no feedback from the instructor, then more freedom to produce my artifact of learning.  Harnessing the power of technology and online coursework requires observation and feedback.  The feedback I would offer my instructors in an online classes: don't tell students what you know, but allow them to show you what they learned.  Allow for the construction of artifacts that demonstrate learning not just demonstrate the right answer or busy work, but most importantly offer them authentic feedback.  I believe that our students want the same.  They want feedback and/or they want choice.  I plan to keep this mind as I work with students, offering them authentic feedback and opportunities.  I hope that all teachers keep this in mind when working with students.  And finally, I hope that our district continues to share and offer feedback to one another as this year progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment