Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Choosing your attitude


As the school year is set to begin, many teachers and administrators have been rejuvenated over the summer.  They have rediscovered their inner passion and remember why they joined this great profession.

Those in education can identify a cycle that takes place with teachers: School year begins and excitement is high, then comes mid-year and that excitement begins to wain. Then look out because here comes a time  late in the school year and that excitement morphs in to cynicism.

By way of full disclosure, I must admit that I have fallen into the this quagmire myself.  Each summer I take time to reflect on what my successes were, but more importantly to me than those successes are my failures.  I am a firm believer that failure is essential to growth and even more essential to success.  If we are satisfied with resting on good enough, then greatness, is a phenomenon that we will never experience.  One my favorite quotes is:  "Failure isn't fatal, but failure to change might be" -- John Wooden

So how did the process of reflection lead to a blog about 'Choosing your attitude'?  Experiencing excitement is a choice.  Experiencing cynicism is also a choice.  When people are excited, they are focused on the potential of what could be.  When people are cynics, they are focused on what isn't.  

This year, I am challenging my co-workers to remain centered on the first of those 'What could be'.  I am also challenging my co-workers to hold me accountable to this and keep me focused on it as well.  My hope is, to do my part, to create an environment that is as conducive to student success.  We owe it to our kids to not let our choice of attitude negatively affect our students.  

I recently read a blog by @PernilleRipp that she posted to twitter.  The blog was spot on with what I have been thinking.  Click here to read her blog on "A letter to those who are new...Myself included'  She pointed out the importance of being fearless, setting goals, and most importantly not losing yourself in the job.  If you read nothing else between now and when school begins, I suggest that post to give you a lift before school starts.  

Another resource I just love is to utilize is to watch the Kid President videos on YouTube.  If you have not checked them out I highly recommend it.  Here is one of my favorites:


So here is to staying motivated and positive this coming year and changing what I failed at the in past...all while focusing on what could be with a positive attitude and actions.

Follow me on twitter @CHS_Mr_F


No comments:

Post a Comment